Tales from Tech Support
How to make the most of your software’s Help Desk
So, your company has just got a brand-spanking-new, fancy-schmansy software solution at work; it’s been hyped up and it’s taken months to be implemented in a complex project. And then, when it’s all said and done and you’re on your own, something goes wrong… Is it a bug? Is it a feature? Sounds like a job for the Tech Support team!
… then you’re stuck in a time-space whirlwind of emails and questions you don’t know the answer to, and your work is not advancing.
So, how can you make the support process quicker and more productive?
- Get to know the tool.
I know this one’s a no brainer: the more you know a tool the fewer questions you will have and, more importantly, the better questions you will ask the Help Desk so you make sure they get the precise information they need to solve your case in a timely manner.
How to go about this:
- Training is key. Your company should provide proper ongoing training for you and your colleagues. If they don’t, please demand it as it is essential to perform your duties.
- Explore the tool, read the pop-ups, take screenshots of everything and send it to the support agent when opening a case. The more information we have, the better served you will be.
- Read the Manual. Please. Consult the documentation from your training or the manual; there’s probably even a forum dedicated to the software, like the Kronos Community. It’s faster than back and forth emails with Tech Support, and it’s included in your company’s yearly maintenance agreement! Plus, you don’t want to use your Tech Support team’s time to google things for you… I mean, we don’t google… well, I don’t… maybe some might, it’s not really our job description… anyhoo…
Speaking of job description…
- What is and isn’t included in your SLA?
What are the terms of your company’s agreement with the software vendor? How long does the Help Desk have to reply to your case? How complex is the issue you’re dealing with? Is it really a case for support or can you find the answer in the manual or on the software vendor’s community site?
You have every right to demand that Tech Support adhere to the agreement with your company, but answering these questions first will help you manage your expectations as to how long it will take to get a response and, thus, helping everyone be less frustrated.
- Tech Support Agents are people too.
Well, mostly. What we are for sure is here to help you; we want you to succeed and be happy. We know no one contacts the Help Desk to say everything is hunky dory; you’re coming to us with a problem. Maybe it’s late and you’ve been reading the manual, checking forums for answers, and you really need something done so you can complete your tasks properly. You’re frustrated enough to throw your laptop out the window and scream in the rain… and you take it out on some poor agent on the other end of the line. It happens. You’re not the first or the last and we understand. However, being nice to your agent makes us work harder for you, whereas the uncontrollable outpour of tears seriously impedes our ability to see our screens, and solving things is hard if we’ve been yelled at.
And before you throw your PC out the window…
- Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Did you know that clearing your browsing cache or restarting your own PC can solve like 40% of cases?
Errr, I might have made this figure up, but it does solve quite a few issues, especially performance related ones or weird bugs. Try it first and then call Help Desk if the problem still stands.
As a side note, you can always ask IT to restart servers for on-premise systems. Just remember that this will stop your company’s workflow, so save it for non-productive times or emergencies.
- Get in touch if you’re still not certain.
Of course we don’t expect you to know it all or to have investigated it all, especially when you’re new to the tool, so just ask. At Simms & Associates we will be more than happy to point you in the right direction and help you get started to reach the full potential of your solution. At the end of the day, we are here for you because we are passionate about our jobs and our client’s satisfaction is what drives us!
If you are an existing client, please send your support case to [email protected] or if you want information on any of the WFM software we provide, such as Kronos, WorkJam, Kwenta, and more, feel free to drop us an email at [email protected].